Last Updated: September 16, 2023, 13:58 IST
With a focus on the upcoming Assembly Elections, the new and reconstituted Congress Working Committee is all set to host its first meeting in Hyderabad on Saturday. Party President Mallikarjun Kharge clarified that the meeting will strictly be based on internal party matters and the Congress’s strategy for the coming state elections and not the INDIA bloc.
Ahead of the CWC meeting, the first in many years to be held outside Delhi, Kharge also said his party has fought for and ushered in democracy, social justice, progress and equality in the country.
Here are 10 key points about the CWC meeting today and why is it significant
- Rahul Gandhi, Sonia Gandhi, Priyanka Gandhi and all senior leaders of the Congress party will be present in the meeting.
- The CWC will meet at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday and deliberate on the strategy for the upcoming assembly elections and the Lok Sabha polls.
- For the first time in many years, the party’s top decision-making body will hold deliberations for three days outside Delhi.
- The CWC meeting will be attended by 84 Congress leaders, including four chief ministers. The Committee has 39 regular members, 32 permanent invitees and 13 special invitees.
- On Sunday, there will be a meeting of the extended CWC to which all state party chiefs and CLP leaders, besides Parliamentary Party office-bearers, and Central Election Committee members attend.
- Discussions on the alliance (INDIA) will be done in the next meeting with our partners of the alliance,” Kharge said.
- Congress Working Committee (CWC) meeting in the Telangana capital, the party is also looking to send out a message that it will go all-out to dislodge the BRS government in the poll-bound state.
- The focus of the meetings, Kharge said, will be on strengthening the organisation and discussions on alliances will take place in the meeting of the INDIA bloc.
- The CWC is likely to resolve the alleged rift in its Karnataka Unit between Hariprasad and CM Siddharamaiah. Sources explained that Hariprasad would give clarification to the top leaders over his remarks against Chief Minister Siddaramaiah.
- Chief Minister Siddaramaiah will also attend the meeting. DyCM and Karnataka Congress President DK Shivakumar had already left for Hyderabad.