Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah, his deputy DK Shivakumar along with other state Congress leaders during their protest at Jantar Mantar. (Image: PTI)
According to sources, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann are likely to join Kerala CM Pinarayi Vijayan in his protest today
Amid escalating tensions in the Centre versus southern states battle, leaders from the three states — Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu — are in the national capital to protest against alleged injustice in allocation of funds.
The top brass and other legislators of the Siddaramaiah-led Karnataka government on Wednesday took to the streets of the national capital and staged a “Chalo Delhi’ protest at Jantar Mantar. CM Siddaramaiah and his deputy DK Shivakumar also took part in the protest.
Joining in on this, Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan will also hold a protest in Delhi on Thursday against the Centre’s alleged neglect towards the southern state in financial matters.
Sources said it is likely that Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal and Punjab CM Bhagwant Mann will also join Vijayan in the protest.
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and Punjab CM Bhagwant Mann might join Kerala’s ruling Left front in its protest in the national capital.
- Though LDF’s invitation to the Congress-led UDF to join the protest was rejected, it has received the support of Tamil Nadu chief minister MK Stalin.
- Kerala chief minister Pinarayi Vijayan will stage a protest at Jantar Mantar at 11 am on Thursday. Vijayan along with the Left front ministers and legislators will actively partake in the protest against the Centre’s alleged “neglect” towards the southern state.
- Meanwhile, leaders of the ruling DMK and its alliance parties are set to protest near the Mahatma Gandhi Statue in the Parliament complex on Thursday, a NDTV report said.
- Legislators and MPs from all three southern states of Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Karnataka are in the national capital to protest against the Centre’s neglect.
- In another drama outside the Vidhan Soudha in Bengaluru, a clash broke out between the BJP leaders and police officials. Sources said that police used water canons on the BJP workers as they tried to lock the CM office. They were also detained by the police later.
- The Congress legislators and MPs from Karnataka staged a protest at Jantar Mantar on Wednesday with the active participation of CM Siddaramaiah and his deputy DK Shivakumar.
(With PTI inputs)